Rules and Regulations – Canadian Horse Defence Coalition Short Story Competition
Submission Deadline Date: January 15, 2018
The theme of all stories submitted must be horse rescue. Stories may be fiction, creative non-fiction, or autobiographical. Stories will be assessed according to the following parameters: details of horse rescue, quality of writing style, characterization, plot, setting, and the quality of narration to communicate the story of horse rescue.
All submitted works must be original and unpublished works. Texts must be written in English or French (works written in multiple languages and translations are not eligible).
Submitted stories will be assigned to one of the following categories according to the author’s age as of the submission deadline given above. All stories must be within the specified word count:
- Child: Up to 11 years of age: 500 – 750 words
- Youth: 12 – 18 years of age: 1200 – 5000 words
- Adult: 19 years of age and up: 1200- 5000 words
Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada are eligible to enter. For any contestant who has not reached the age of majority in his/her province or country of residence, parental or guardian consent is necessary to enter the Contest.
Members of the Board of Directors of the Canadian Horse Defence Coalition as well as their immediate family (father/mother, brother/sister, son/daughter) and persons living under the same roof, are not eligible to enter this competition.
Previously published authors may submit texts providing that the submissions are unpublished works. There must be only one author per entry.
All works that have published or broadcast are considered not eligible for the competition.
Candidates who have submitted work:
Candidates warrant they have created the work they are submitting and that they own all rights to it. Candidates will indemnify and hold Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC) and its Board of Directors and affiliates, harmless from and against any and all loss, damage, costs and other expense arising out of claims, whatever their nature, resulting directly or indirectly from breach of this warranty.
In submitting their work, each participant grants Canadian Horse Defence Coalition the following licenses free of charge and irrevocably:
- The right to translate an excerpt from the work submitted (no more than 15% of its total length)
- The non-exclusive right to reproduce and publish an excerpt from the work (no more than 15% of its total length) on the websites and platforms controlled or authorized by the Canadian Horse Defence Coalition, both in the original language and in translation
In accepting a prize, the winners grant to The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC), for the entire term of all rights, the following licences:
- The right to translate the work
- The right to reproduce and publish it in all formats, including on the websites and platforms controlled or authorized by The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC) and on any future merchandise, both in the original language and in translation; net income from any use of merchandise shall be split 50/50 between The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC) and the author
- The right to make an audio/video recording by means of any existing or not-yet-invented technology, to distribute and broadcast readings of works or excerpts therefrom in the original language or in translation, on The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC) websites/platforms controlled or authorized by The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC)
- The right to edit, abridge or excerpt the work for the purposes of publication or broadcast. (The author will be consulted if significant edits are necessary.)
- The right to edit or modify the work for the purposes of publication or to publish only some excerpts. (The author will be consulted if significant edits are necessary.)
For a purpose of clarity, the Licences granted to The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC) by the winners are for all territories throughout the world (unless another agreement is reached with The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC)) and are exclusive for a year from the date of acceptance of the prize and non-exclusive thereafter, Moreover, the finalist and winners, as well as the people accompanying them, or their parents or guardians if the winners are minors, shall agree, if necessary, to have their name and/or picture, including their photograph, and/or their voice used for advertising purposes related to this competition, free of charge.
These licences include the rights for The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC) to grant sub-licences to exercise the rights granted by this licence.
*Word count includes titles. Submissions over or under the specified word count will be disqualified. For works submitted by mail, an electronic version may be required in order to check the word count.
Our word limits are strict in each category. To calculate word counts, we put your entire submission (including the title) into Microsoft Word and use Word’s word counter. Since Word only relies on spaces to delimit words, any term containing a hyphen (“twenty-five”) or an apostrophe (“can’t”, “don’t”) counts as a single word. Word also counts every article (“the”, “a”, etc.) as a separate word. Microsoft Word also automatically counts groups of characters (e.g. “xxx”) as well as symbols (e.g. “***” or “~~~”) as a word.
Participants may submit as many texts as they wish. A writer can win only one prize.
For each manuscript entered, participants must complete a separate official entry form.
HOW TO SUBMIT
Texts can only be submitted online to. firstname.lastname@example.org as an Microsoft Word document attachment or as a pdf file.
CHDC Short Story Competition,
150 First St, PO Box 21079
All submissions must:
- Be accompanied by the official entry form and the parental permission (electronic or print version) if applicable
- Be in letter format (8½” by 11”). Mailed-in texts must be printed on single-sided white paper
- Be double spaced
- All submissions are final: no changes or substitutions are allowed
- No handwritten manuscripts or fax texts will be accepted
- Works will not be returned and editorial comments will not be given on the works
- Texts should not be bound. Paper clips and staples are permitted
- If you want to receive acknowledgment by regular mail, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope with your entry.
Online submission: all works must be submitted and payments must be made on or before 11:59 PM (ET) on the day of the deadline provided on page 1. Submission by mail: works must be postmarked on the day of the deadline provided on page 1. Winners will be announced approximately 3 months after the deadline
The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition will offer first and second prizes in each age category:
Children: up to 11 years of age as of submission deadline date
- Grand Prize:
- Second Prize:
Youth 12 to 18 years as of age as of submission deadline date
- Grand Prize:
- Second Prize:
Adult: 19 and up as of age on submission deadline date
- Grand Prize:
- Second Prize:
The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC) will provide visibility to winners and their work on one or more of its platforms.
Participants may win only 1 prize per age category. Participants maintain ownership of their works, although rights to reproduce and distribute them to the public are limited by the licences granted according to these rules.
Prizes shall be accepted as is, and may not be exchanged or transferred. No substitutions shall be allowed.
If a prize cannot be awarded as described in these rules, The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC), reserves the right to substitute one or more prizes or prize components with another of approximately equivalent value.
To be proclaimed winners, participants must meet all the conditions set out in these rules. The winners, or in the of case minors, their parents or guardians, shall sign a declaration of eligibility for the competition, as set out in these rules, and release The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC), and its affiliated agents, as well as their respective directors, officers and employees, from any liability for damage or loss whatsoever, whether arising from the participants’ involvement in this competition or from the awarding, acceptance or use of the prize.
A winner’s refusal to accept a prize shall release The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC), and its volunteers and Board of Directors from all obligations towards the winner.
Should participants make any false statement, they shall be automatically disqualified from the competition. If plagiarism is alleged, the jury shall conduct a reasonable inquiry in the circumstances, and if it determines that plagiarism has occurred, the participant concerned shall be disqualified and shall return the prize money. Such a decision by the jury shall be final and cannot be appealed.
The Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC), its board of directors and volunteers shall assume no liability resulting from losses, delays, mistaken addresses on mail or e-mail received, typographical errors, technical, computer or telephone malfunctions, loss or theft of computer or telephone data, damage to software or computer equipment, fraudulent calls or any other mistake.
All personal information, such as your name, address, telephone number and email address, is collected solely for the purposes of administering this competition and shall not be used for any other purpose without your consent. By providing this information, you consent to it being used for the stated purposes.
By entering, participants agree to abide by the competition rules which shall be applied by the Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC). All its decisions are final and without appeal. This competition is subject to all Canadian federal, provincial and municipal legislation applicable.