MP Alexandra Mendes is sponsoring a petition to amend the transport regulations under the Health of Animals Act to bring Canada’s regulations pertaining to animals in transit
There is a link at the bottom of the wording of the petition that will take you to the petition. Please sign. Thank you.
Petition to the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food
- Virtually all farmed animals are transported at least once in their lifetime;
- Canadian cattle, sheep and goats may be legally transported 52 hours without water, food or rest, and pigs, poultry and horses, 36 hours, under similar circumstances;
- These times far exceed other jurisdictional standards, including the EU where animals may be transported only 8 hours if vehicles lack watering facilities, automatic fans, temperature monitors and alarms; and
- Millions of Canadian farm animals suffer and die due to long journeys, illness, injuries, extreme temperatures and overcrowding.
We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food to Publish amended transport regulations under the Health of Animals Act to:
- Ensure journeys do not exceed 8 hours unless vehicles are equipped with amenities, as above. Longer times would be permitted with this equipment, linked to an alarm;
- Require all new vehicles be fitted with species-specific watering, mechanical ventilation, and navigational GPS to record travel times, speeds and distances;
- Ensure animals are not transported during extreme temperatures, as defined by the Codes of Practice for farm animals;
- Require animals be transported to the nearest slaughter plant;
- Require drivers to receive formal training and certification in animal welfare;
- End electric prod use and ensure sick or injured animals are not transported unless for medical help;
- Establish loading densities so animals can stand and lie comfortably; and
- Provide sufficient funding to CFIA for on-road inspections and enforcement of transport regulations.
Please go here to sign.