Domestic and wild horses in Canada are at risk of being in grave danger. Back in May 2010, the Canadian Horse Defence Coalition (CHDC) published a paper called “What You Didn’t Know About Canada’s Horse Federations” – exposing a deceptively named Canadian organization called the Horse Welfare Alliance of Canada (HWAC).
The report included some eyebrow-raising facts including:
- HWAC’s formation being in response to Canada’s anti-slaughter movement, prompted by the CHDC’s first investigative report, “Black Beauty Betrayed” in 2008.
- the true purpose of HWAC, which is not horse welfare, but the promotion and support of North America’s horse slaughter industry;
- proof of HWAC’s affiliation with Canada’s largest horse slaughter plant, Bouvry Exports;
- HWAC’s founder, Bill DesBarres is a Board member with the Alberta Equestrian Federation, and thus manoeuvred to include all provincial horse federations under HWAC;
- Bill DesBarres’ reaction to authentic footage obtained from Bouvry Exports in the CHDC 2010 report, “Chambers of Carnage” was to dispute its authenticity, saying: “I’m not convinced that those pictures were taken at Fort MacLeod. These things are produced by people who have a different agenda. They are against animal agriculture, period.”
- HWAC’s affiliation with extreme pro-slaughter groups in the U.S. under State of Wyoming Legislature Republican Sue Wallis
Please read the complete article here: http://heatherclemenceau.wordpress.com/2012/06/18/canadas-horse-welfare-group-in-dubious-company-or-reason-189743-why-we-cannot-trust-unified-equine-or-the-ieba/